The E-flite® Apprentice® STS 1.5m is based on one of the very best platforms ever designed for learning to fly radio controlled (RC) airplanes—the legendary Apprentice S 15e. That model’s large size made it an ideal choice for better visibility and the ability to handle more wind while learning to fly at an RC club flying field, and its inherently stable design plus exclusive SAFE® (Sensor Assisted Flight Envelope) technology made it easy to fly successfully—especially with the help of an instructor. The Apprentice STS 1.5m is a modern-day evolution of the world’s favorite club trainer that includes all the same great features while adding Smart components including an ESC, battery and charger (battery and charger sold separately for the BNF® Basic version), along with the option to add SAFE Plus® GPS-enabled technology and the all-new Landing Assist Sensor (LAS), to make learning to fly easier—and more fun—than ever before!
- Based on one of the best platforms ever designed for learning to fly radio controlled (RC) airplanes—the Apprentice S 15e
- Perfect for first-time pilots, experienced pilots that teach others to fly and club training programs
- Official Trainer of the Academy of Model Aeronautics (AMA) and many clubs worldwide
- The ideal choice for new pilots when learning to fly with an instructor at an RC flying field
- Exclusive SAFE® technology from Horizon Hobby makes it easy to learn to fly
- Easily upgrade to SAFE Plus GPS-enabled technology to add AutoLand, Virtual Fence and Holding Pattern features
- Optional and easy to install Landing Assist Sensor (LAS) available for smoother landings
- Includes everything you need to fly in one box—nothing extra to buy or provide
- Spektrum DXS transmitter with industry-leading DSMX 2.4GHz technology
- Spektrum 3200mAh 3S 11.1V Smart LiPo battery delivers long flight times
- Spektrum S120 Smart charger works with a variety of USB power sources
- Factory-installed servos, Spektrum flight controller and serial receiver
- Powerful and efficient brushless power system including a Smart ESC
- Wide-stance tricycle landing gear with steerable nose wheel
- Quick and easy assembly—no glue or special tools required
- Durable EPO construction that’s tough yet lightweight
- Optional floats available for flying from water
- Practice flying this aircraft in the RealFlight® simulator
Needed to Complete
Nothing! Everything you need to begin having fun with your Apprentice STS is included.
What’s in the Box?
- (1) E-flite Apprentice STS 1.5m with:
- (1) Brushless Outrunner Motor (installed)
- (1) Smart 30A Brushless ESC (installed)
- (2) 13-gram Digital and (4) 37-gram Servos (installed)
- (1) Spektrum 3230 Flight Controller (installed)
- (1) Spektrum 4650 Serial Receiver (installed)
- (1) Spektrum DXS DSMX® 2.4GHz Transmitter
- (1) Spektrum 3200mAh 3S 11.1V Smart LiPo Battery
- (1) Spektrum S120 USB-C Smart Charger
- (1) Product Manual
E-flite® took the world’s favorite club trainer and made it SMARTER with the Apprentice® STS 1.5m. Based on one of the very best platforms ever designed for learning to fly radio controlled (RC) airplanes, its large size and 1.5 meter (59.0 inch) wingspan offers better visibility and the ability to handle more wind while learning to fly at an RC club flying field. Its inherently stable design plus SAFE® (Sensor Assisted Flight Envelope) technology featuring Beginner, Intermediate and Experienced flight modes makes it easy to fly successfully, especially with the help of an instructor. The addition of exclusive Spektrum™ Smart components including a lithium polymer (LiPo) battery and charger make it more convenient to charge properly and safely (battery and charger sold separately for the BNF® Basic version). And best of all it now has the option to upgrade to SAFE Plus GPS-enabled technology that offers features such as AutoLand and Virtual Fence, plus the option to install the all-new Landing Assist Sensor (LAS) that automatically “flares” for smoother landings, to make learning to fly—and to land safely—easier than ever!
The Ready-To-Fly (RTF) version includes everything needed to fly in one box, and is the perfect choice if you’re a new RC pilot. From the Spektrum DXS 2.4GHz transmitter you can use with other Bind-N-Fly® (BNF) and BNF Basic aircraft after you learn to fly the Apprentice STS, to the 3S 3200mAh Smart LiPo battery that delivers long flight times and the convenient S120 USB-C Smart charger that can be used with a variety of USB power sources, there’s nothing extra you need to buy or provide! A BNF Basic version is also available for experienced pilots and clubs that want to use their favorite Spektrum transmitter along with batteries and chargers they may already own. And for both versions, the powerful and efficient brushless power system including a Smart ESC, plus the flight controller, receiver and servos, are all factory-installed in the durable EPO airframe that assembles quickly and easily without the need for glue or special tools.
And the fun doesn’t stop after you learn how to fly! In the Experienced Mode, the Apprentice STS 1.5m is capable of performing aerobatic maneuvers including loops, rolls, inverted (upside down) flight and more. You can even install the optional floats to take off from and land on water.
The Apprentice STS 1.5m is the smartest and best club trainer ever, and that makes it perfect for first-time pilots, experienced pilots that teach others to fly, and for club training programs alike. That’s why it’s the Official Trainer of the Academy of Model Aeronautics (AMA) and the best choice for new pilots seeking a larger trainer that makes it easier to progress into more advanced RC airplanes!
Optional Landing Assist Sensor for Smoother Landings
The all-new Spektrum Landing Assist Sensor (LAS) is easy to install and provides automatic “flare” control to help inexperienced pilots “grease” landings by minimizing or completely eliminating bouncing (works over many/most surfaces and provides optimum performance when flying over/landing in grass).
Spektrum Smart Battery and Charger
This RTF version includes a Spektrum 3S 3200mAh Smart LiPo battery that delivers long flight times, plus an S120 USB-C Smart charger that can be used with a variety of USB power sources. Simply connect the battery to the charger, and the exclusive Smart Technology will determine and start charging at the best rate to properly and safely charge the battery automatically.
Construction with advanced EPO material delivers a lightweight yet durable airframe that’s tough enough to handle everyday flying punishment without getting bent out of shape. The wing attaches to the fuselage with rubber bands so it can twist or “pop” free in the event of a hard landing or crash to minimize damage. And in the unfortunate event you damage any airframe parts or components and can’t repair them, a full line of replacement parts is readily available.
The Apprentice STS 1.5m arrives mostly factory-assembled with the power system, flight controller, receiver and servos installed. All you need to do is finish some quick and easy final assembly, without the use of glue or special tools, and you’ll be ready to fly in less time than it takes to charge a battery!
The wide-stance tricycle landing gear with a steerable nose wheel offers improved ground handling for easier take offs and landings on a wide variety of surfaces from paved runways to grass and even dirt.
Turn the Apprentice STS 1.5m into a float plane with the optional float set (EFLA550; sold separately). Installation takes just a few minutes and all the necessary hardware is included with the airplane and float set.
- Airfoil Shape: Flat bottom
- Approximate Assembly Time: No assembly required
- Approximate Flight Time: 5 minutes
- Band: 2.4GHz
- Battery: Included
- Battery Type: LiPo (3.7V per cell)
- CG (Center of Gravity): 3.125″ (79mm) from leading edge of wing measured at the fuselage
- Channels: 7
- Charger: Included
- Completion Level: Ready-To-Fly
- Flaps: No
- Flying Weight: 251-2000g
- Power Type: Electric
- Landing Gear: Prebent wire, tricycle configuration
- Material: Foam
- Minimum Speed Control: 30A included
- Motor Type: Brushless
- Product Length: 42.5″ (1080 mm)
- Product Weight: 49 oz (1390g)
- Propeller Size: 11″ (279 mm)
- Radio: Included
- Receiver: Included
- Recommended Motor Battery: 11.1V 3200mAh 30C 3S Smart LiPo with IC3 connector included
- Servos: Included
- Skill Level: Level 1
- Speed Control: Included
- Steering: Steerable nose gear
- Technology: SAFE
- Transmitter Range: Full
- Trim Scheme Colors: Orange, white and black
- Wing Area: 515 sq dm (33.2 sq dm)
- Wingspan: 59″ (1499 mm)